Sunday, May 23, 2010

Oh Martha

Try as I might, I can't help but fall in love with all things Martha Stewart. I tried, really I did. I hate getting caught up in anything "hype", and let's be real, when it comes to baking, cooking, party planning...Martha IS hype. But alas, I've realized she's hype because she's amazing and brilliant and everything she touches turns fabulous. Sigh. I've given in to hype. First step is admitting it right? So now, I'm embracing it. I've even heavily considering doing an entire month of just MS elements for a wedding. Yes it's bad. I'm addicted.

So what does this have to do with Eco-Wedding Month? I was dying for you to ask!! This morning I was going through some of her "Good Stuff" section and came across something that caught my eye...frozen vodka! Check this out, not only is it something you can do yourself, but it also is dual purpose! Frozen vodka, when doing a wedding somewhere that allows you to provide your own alcohol is super green & very budget-friendly.
Let's review why :)

1-Buying your own alcohol is way less expensive than having to get it through a caterer.
2-You can buy it in bulk which certainly cuts down costs, or go to Sam's Club/Costco etc, where prices are seriously slashed.
3-Frozen Vodka isn't just yummy, it will act as a decoration too!
4-You're recycling a milk carton for each frozen vodka you make.
5-Use fruits from local farmers! Not only helps the environment by cutting down on fuel use, you're also supporting your community.



Now, let's make some frozen vodka!
Get a full bottle of your favorita vodka, and place it into an open cardboard half-gallon milk carton (or orange juice, or whatever!) Thinly slice fruits (they used lemons and limes in Martha's example) and place them around the bottle, filling a third of the carton. Next, pour water till it is covering the fruits. Place it in the freezer (in the upright position)and once it is completely frozen add more slices of fruit and water (another third) and freeze. Once it's completely frozen..well just repeat the same steps, till the water reaches the neck of the bottle. Doing it this way, instead of all at once, prevents the fruit from all just floating to the top. Keep it frozen until it's time to set up the bar. Then all you have to do is cut the milk carton off with a utility knife and wrap the base with a matching napkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment